Our life is full of unpredictable happenings and people who make impact on it. There are certain decisions which we can take on our own, then there are family/friends/colleagues who daily influence our life. Then there are ecological, economical and political factors…
I am curious what you think about the percentage of that impact on your own life – how much is it?90, 70, 50 oder may be only 5%? To put it in other words: is the influence of diverse outside factors bigger than the one of your own being (attitude, philosophy, habits, etc.)?
Let me see what many of you, my dearest readers will choose and then… let me quote someone I respect a lot with a very interesting note on this topic!
Here is my poll (the first one since I blog!):
Thanks for voting 🙂
P.S: after two days 30 people voted and I think that is a good number to show the results.
We can see that the clear majority of the people voted ( 48%) believe their life to depend on the outside factors up to 50%.
Both 70 and 90 percent voters have scored 12%, 30% voters – 20% and 5% voters scored 8% (which is not surprising :).
And now, my contirubution:
I was inspired to this idea reading my favourite Sufi Saint Hazrat Inayat Khan, saying that whatever we may think, it is actually only 5% of life factors that do not depend on us. The rest 95% of life is what our inner being makes of it. I agree withit completely as my own life proves that my outer happiness (success in job, great family and friends, money life, etc.) are merely the result of my happy and harmonious inner being. Bad things seem to avoid me 🙂 And even in the today’s worldwide crisis my life situation improves miraculously (for instance just yesterday I was offered a CEO position without even dreaming of it!)… I am convinced that the outside factors do depend on us to the greater extend, not otherwise.. Let me quote another great personally here:
“In the case of homo sapiens, our being imbibes the outside world through constant sensations, impulses, impressions and conditionings. The outside world is the water, the inside world is the sponge. With homo spiiritualis, however the inner world and its energy, crystallized by the rising sap the Kundalini, is much more powerful. It is emitted from the personality of a realized person on the surrounding world and it subtly, yet effectively, influences the outside. The inner world is the water, the outside world the sponge.”Grégoire de Kalbermatten,
And that works for me.