Depression, the greatest soul plague of modern humans… I wonder is it really a modern phenomenon or it is just better documented nowadays that in earlier centuries?
What defines depression? It is the act of depressing and the condition of being depressed. Depression is characterized by lack of activity, self-worth, dejection, sad feelings, gloom and inadequacy. When the people are in depression, then their life becomes negative. People in depression often face hopelessness, passivity, indecisiveness, suicidal intentions, loss of appetite, weight loss, sleeping disorders.
Here are some statistics on depression:
- Main reasons of depression in men are separation after marriage, widowed, divorce
- In US nearly 7 million women are clinically depressed
- One in seven men will develop depression within 6 months of becoming unemployed
- Mostly 15 percent of women suffering from severe depression will commit suicide
- Nearly 10 percent of women experience postpartum depression after birth of a child
- 2003 National Comorbidity Study, sponsored by the National Institutes of Health 16% of the population that is nearly 35 million Americans suffer from severe depression
- in Austria: every 5th person is clinically depressed and under medication
I guess the statistics on other countries will be not much different. By simply observing that one can get depressed!
Although I am not an expert on this subject, I would like to share one unique experience I had about being depressed. May be it will help someone out. (more…)