image by axinia
How many people dream of being a boss? Nobody knows, but I guess many. Such applications as status, respect, money are pretty attractive.
I am convinced that being a boss is a challenge not for everyone and actually not at all that attractive! What I see around is that people in charge (in business or politics) are in fact much poorer off than “normal people”.
Here are some good reasons taken from personal experience and HR books:
– a boss is an object of critics and rumors (starting from dress or hairstyle till family life and hobbies – everything is under the magnifier)
– a boss is a stressful and dangerous job (whoever failed, the boss is the one who is responsible)
– a boss has normally no weekends and celebrations – any time anything can happen and he/she has to be available
– a boss has a difficulty to settle a private life: Statistics say, only one of 10 dinners of a boss is private), those who have families make the families suffer because of the lack of attention. Then one gets easier affected by sexual disorders.
– a boss can not change his /her job easily. There are not so many open positions up there, and to step down is not for everyone too.
– whatever a (good) boss does, there will be always unhappy souls. No matter how many goodies he/she delivers, only one strict measure and the whole charm is gone…That is unfair! – but that`s life.
– a boss can not have friends at work, a friend of a boss may be seen as a careerist or yes-man; on the other hand, it is hard to be strict with the friend for the boss himself/herself.
There are surely some other points, but in general, I would say I am very tolerant and patient to people keeping high positions because they have a challenge “normal” people do not have and – honestly – how many of us want to have such a life??