I am in one of the most communication-loaded professions, people management. This would mean talking, talking and talking. however the average time I spend on the phone daily is only about 1 (!) hour. Happy to share with you some tricks about managing communication.
1. Phone talks are unhealthy and limiting in expression. 70% of all talks many people do on the phone I outsourced to Internet: I prefer writing short messages or long detailed emails, depending on the case – this saves my time and the time of the counter part. People have more chances to think over the message. It is also more convenient because today when almost everyone owns a smartphone, a written message can be read practically any time. While writing emails it is crucial to give the topic in the header as exact as possible, so the reader can see the relevance of the message. Another important thing about written communication: please always give feedback!!! ALWAYS. People should know you have received the message, it makes them feel comfortable and appreciated.
2. I prefer “LIVE” communication to any other. Therefore I just try to MEET people. Thanks to my job I always meet new people and maintain relationships with the good “old” ones. Going out for lunch, meeting after work, inviting to my place, going out on weekends…There are lots of chances to meet up. And this is most important!
3. There people whom I like so much that I really want to meet them more often. And also to let them meet each other! So I came to an idea of organizing my “own” club I invite interesting people (either my job candidates, or clients, or just my good friends) once in a month, we all meet for clubbing ina nice quiet location. Since the group is “pre-selected” by high professional and ethical standards, it is a great pleasure and fun to meet up regularly. Many interesting ideas and project emerge out of these positive gatherings.
4. Being active in Social Networks also helps a lot. Every now and then I post some “private” information, limited but regularly, so people who are not close friends but know me personally are updated about my life changes. It is important not to overdo or not to under-do that.
5. Thanks to my blog www. 1000petals.wordpress.com which i run since 6 years I have gained many new friends (online and offline) who also appreciate this kind of communication. Blogging is a great tool no doubt! My readers like to refer to my posts and discuss them with me personally, also outside the blogosphere.
P.S: When meeting someone for the frist time I normally take time and we talk at least about 1-2 hours. This helps to deeply understand the person and see to the roots. It helps establishing the trust. Normally after one such meeting the person always remembers me and is happy to coöperate any time and is much easier to handle in communication (needs less time to accomplish things!).
These are my little tricks. And what is helping you?