Two years back I posted “how many bloggers use Facebook” saying that real bloggers don’t need Facebook and it’s a waste of time :). Either Facebook has developed itself to the best, or I have changed my ways, but somehow or rather I started appreciating Facebook. In fact, I found out how much fun and use it can be! By now I have about 620 friends (not everyone I know in person though) and that is not the limit for me. I love to watch this sea of souls communicating and sharing… fascinating!!
Here are my Facebook goodies:
1. It is a brilliant manifestation of collective intelligence: sharing and supporting each other gets easier for people, even if they don’t really know each other. I belive it is Facebook that made the breakthrough into collective online awareness - not everyone is a born blogger and blogging is a job after all :)… but everyone can make a step into the online life through Facebook.
2. New virtual friendships establish themselves probably even easier than through blogging – and then, online leads to offline! When i started using Facebook, I only wanted to have my real life friends there. But soon other people (mutual friends, etc.) joined in and I realised how much fun it can be to meet and get to know better people with whom you would probably never met otherwise (not only because of the distance, but also because of differences in background and interests).
3. An interesting phenomenon: with some people whom I hardly know offline and kind of rediscover online – we can have a very intense Facebook connection, however it does not lead to its offline manifestation. Even if we meet then (occasionally), it never comes to the Facebook intensity…I have 3-4 examples already. Any idea why?
4. Great links, travel photos, private photos (so sweet!) and just what matters for everyone is a daily live… so much to enjoy! It gives a great community feeling.
5. Quite a number of people became my Facebook friends because they know me from blog (only) – there is something special in that ”silent readers” emersion when they suddenly turn up and say” hey, I have been reading your blog since years” – even if they don’t comment on the blog, I am lucky to get their comments on FB then
6. And after all, facebooking is definitely a nice opportunity to share the blog posts
I assume most of my readers are Facebook users – please share your reflections!